The 2012-2013 season gets started for William & Mary basketball on November 9 in Williamsburg against Hampton. The Tribe look like they've put together a squad that can match last season's team. They lose 29% of last season's player minutes and add the contributions of three incoming freshmen.
The biggest gap for William & Mary to fill will be from long-range, as the team lost 36.6% of their three-point shooting. Right behind that is steals, where they drop 35% from last season's numbers.
William & Mary finished last year with an overall record of 6-25 and placed 10th in the CAA with a conference record of 4-14. The Tribe went on to the CAA tournament where they lost to Northeastern, 57-49. William & Mary lost last year's seniors Quinn McDowell (34 minutes per game), Kendrix Brown (24 MPG), and JohnMark Ludwick (9 MPG).
Familiar faces for the Tribe are freshman Marcus Thornton (11.1 points/game), junior Tim Rusthoven (10.3 points/game), senior Matt Rum (1.7 assists/game), junior Brandon Britt (9.0 points/game), and junior Julian Boatner (4.4 points/game).
The Tribe recruited incoming freshmen including 6-4 Marcus Thornton, 6-5 Terry Tarpey, and 6-9 Sean Sheldon. Other players joining the team include 6-8 junior Kyle Gaillard and 6-4 senior Brett Goodloe. The first CAA game for William & Mary will be on December 1st against Old Dominion.
Tags: Quinn McDowell
- Since 2002, William & Mary has an overall winning percentage of 37.9%. The Tribe have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 40.6%.
- The Tribe have an average conference finish of 7.8 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 6.9.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 193.1.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Vanderbilt (#16).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Radford (#329).
- The last time William & Mary returned more than 70% of the team's statistical production was 2011-2012.
, Kendrix Brown
, JohnMark Ludwick
, Marcus Thornton
, Tim Rusthoven
, Matt Rum
, Brandon Britt
, Julian Boatner
, Terry Tarpey
, Sean Sheldon
, Kyle Gaillard
, Brett Goodloe